Are You Wealthy?
WOULD YOU CONSIDER yourself rich, even wealthy?
Imagine doing the following, and you will get a glimpse of what life is like for more than a billion people in our world today:
- Take out all of the furniture in your house except for one table and a couple of chairs. Use your blankets for beds.
- Take away all of your clothing except for your oldest dress or suit. Leave one pair of shoes.
- Empty the pantry and refrigerator except for a small bag of flour, some sugar and salt, a few potatoes, onions, and a dash of dried beans.
- Dismantle the bathroom fixtures, shut off the running water, and remove all of the electrical wiring in your house.
- Take away your house and move your family into the tool shed. Place your house in a shantytown.
- Cancel all subscriptions to newspapers, magazines, and books.
- Leave only one radio for the entire shantytown.
- Throw away your bank book, stock certificates, pension plans, and insurance policies and leave the family a cash hoard of $10.
Now, what did you say a moment ago? Are you rich?
Yes, to most people you and I are extremely wealthy.
That’s something to think about the next time we are tempted to complain about our circumstances.
The Bible says, “Let your conduct be without covetousness, and be content with such things as you have…” (Hebrews 13:5).
Think about it.