CAN WE BE sure of our salvation (1 John 5:13)?
The Bible answers in the affirmative.
And one reason we can have assurance is because all spiritual blessings are IN Christ.
Paul wrote, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ” (Ephesians 1:3).
Consider a few logical thoughts and questions based upon this passage:
1. How many spiritual blessings are IN Christ? (All).
2. How many spiritual blessings are OUT of Christ? (None–Ephesians 2:12-13).
3. Is forgiveness of sins a spiritual blessing? (Yes).
4. How many sins are forgiven in Christ? (All–1 John 1:9).
5. How many sins are forgiven outside of Christ? (None).
6. How many saved people are in Christ? (All).
7. How many saved people are outside of Christ? (None).
8. HOW does one get “into” Christ where all spiritual blessings reside? “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ” (Galatians 3:27; cf. Acts 2:38).
9. If a person hasn’t been immersed into Christ, where all spiritual blessing reside, how then is it possible for him or her to have “put on” Christ?
Since all spiritual blessings are IN Christ, and since forgiveness of sins is a spiritual blessing, since only saved people are IN Christ, and since baptism is the point at which one is placed INTO Christ we can be certain about our salvation! Whether immersion took place ten minutes ago or five decades ago, it matters not. Salvation and security are found IN Jesus!
Dear reader, are you in Christ?
Are you saved?
Are you sure?
Have you been baptized (1 Peter 3:21)?