WHEN is Salvation?
THINK CAREFULLY ABOUT the following question please:
Is there ever a time—in all of the Bible—when God saved people—AFTER they expressed obedient faith?
Let’s explore this together with an open mind and open Bible (cf. Acts 17:11).
Please read the following chapter and then answer the questions listed below—Numbers 21:4-8:
- WHICH direction were the children of Israel travelling? v. 4
- WHAT are some reasons as to why the children of Israel became impatient? v. 5
- WHOM did the children of Israel complain/speak against? v. 5
- HOW does God feel when we complain and grumble? 2:14; 1 Thes. 5:18; Eph. 4:29; 1 Cor. 10:10; Exo. 16:8
- WHAT did God do to the people who complained on this occasion? cf. Rom. 3:23
- WHAT might the word “fiery” suggest? See the NIV, NRSV, and CEV translations.
- WHY did God treat these people differently than He did back at Kedesh? 20:2-11; cf. Ex. 34:6, 7
- After the many sins the Israelites had committed since leaving Egypt, WHAT did they do differently this time? v. 7
- WHAT does the word “intercede” suggest?
- WHAT request did the Israelites make of Moses after confessing their sins? v. 7
- WHAT did God tell Moses to do? Be specific. v. 8
- Exactly WHEN were people saved from the effects of the serpent bite? v. 9
- WAS ANYONE on this occasion saved by faith alone? Jas. 2:14-26
- Could any of the saved people boast that they had saved themselves? Eph. 2:8-10
- WHAT happened to any bite victim who did not look at the bronze serpent on the pole?
- HOW did Jesus later apply this passage to Himself and what does it mean to us today? John 3:15-16; cf. Titus 3:5
- Can we only appeal to John 3:16, but not also appeal to John 3:15, when talking about both the salvation of those in Deuteronomy 21 and man’s salvation today? Explain your answer.
“God loves you and I love you and that’s the way it’s gonna be!” – Mike